Day 4: Beaver Creek to Whitehorse (Yukon)

Trip Details
Trip Day Number: 
Total Miles to Date: 
Miles For Today: 
trip daily map
Map for Today: 

Today began the same as yesterday ended.  Rainy and cold.  Fortunately, Amy had allowed Josh to do quite a bit of research on our cold and rain clothes.  He selected the FXRG line sold by Harley.  This gear was a life saver today.  It kept us warm and dry--very difficult when riding a motor cycle 50-60 miles per hour in constant rain. 

From Beaver Creek we went to Burwash Landing and Destruction Bay.  This was a little over 120 miles of absolute misery.  This stretch has been described in some of the guide books as the worst section of the Alaska highway.  We hope this is correct.  It rained the entire period, there were numerous pavment breaks and the mud continued to pile up.  We probably didn't average over 30 miles per hour on this section.

Shortly after leaving Beaver Creek we spotted a huge moose standing on the sholder of the road watching as we passes.  A little farther down the road, a large grizzly crossed the road and headed to the woods.  We have been warned about the risk of running into moose, bears, deer etc.  However our Harley's are pretty loud and I now believe the risk of this is fairly low.  We will continue to be diligent however.  Hitting one of those animals would probably mean a serious premature end to our trip.

Things really picked up after Destruction Junction. We rode over 40 miles along the banks of the Kluane Lake.  This was a georgeous ride.  We stopped near the end to take some pictures.  Also,  I tried to take some pictures using my digital camera mounted on the handle bar of the motorcycle.  I don't think these cameras were intended to be mounted as we have and I have probably destroyed the Sony I have been using.

We stopped in Haines Junction for a bite to eat and to fill up with gas. I forgot to pay the restaurant tab so the owner ( a small Asian man)  came out as we were starting our motorcycles waiving the check.  I almost made the same mistake after we had filled up the gas tanks. 

We then headed to White Horse--about 90 miles.  This was an easy ride.  It  stopped raining, the roads were pretty good, there was very little traffic and the scenery was good.  We made some good time on this trip.

Whitehorse is a town of about 25,000 and is the capital of the Yukon.  It has the first McDonalds we have seen since leaving Fairbanks--abour 700 miles.  Can you imagine driving 700 miles and not seeing the golden arches?

We are staying at the Westmark in Whitehorse--owned by the same group as the one in Beaver Creek.  They also have a dinner theatre here featuring the "Frantic Folllies". Unfortunately, Josh and Jared had so much fun at the one in Beaver Creek, they almost threw me out of the room when I mentioned going to this one also. 

We found a car wash and spent about 2 hours getting the first layers of mud off the bikes.

We stopped by Wal Mart for a couple of items and, as usual, Jared and his trike attracted a chatty chap who wanted to know all about our trip and offer us some advice on how to make it better.  Tomorrow we are headed for Watson Lake--about 270 miles.  If the weather is nice and we can get Jared up a little earlier, we might try to make it to Laird River Hotsprings. I understand there are two pools of hotsprings and they are supposed to have some "healing"  features.  We'll see how this works out.

Copyright 2008-14
Created and Maintained by JJJ Getaway